What can you expect on a typical Friday at work? Maybe a staff meeting? Tying up loose ends from the week? Start a new project??? Well last Friday, my company shook it all up and hosted its second annual COOKIE BAKE OFF! A little jealous? It’s ok😉
The rules for the contest were simple, you must bring in at least a dozen cookies and you have to bake if you want to eat. Umm…..how could I pass up a room full of cookies?? The choice was simple, even though my cookie baking skills leave something to be desired, I was entering this contest and I would enjoy each and every morsel of it.
So on to the recipe…what should I make? Lucky a family friend came to the rescue with a recipe for Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chip Cookies – no further looking necessary, those would be perfect.
I’ll be honest, I 100% waited till the last minute to make these guys. I woke up bright and early (6:15 a.m.) on Friday morning and broke out my bowls and spoons. The whole process was super easy, but take note, the dough does need to chill for at least an hour before slicing & baking. Unfortunately my oven gets as hot as Hades and the cookies has a slight “smoky” flavor to them, but over all they turned out pretty good! They even won “Most Chocolately Cookie” – not bad for my first try at the contest “circuit”😉.
Next time I make these I’ll be sure to shorten the cooking time – which I’ve reflected below.
Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 bag Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 bag Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- In a double boiler over hot water, melt the bittersweet chocolate chips and butter
- In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar until thick, then stir in chocolate mixture. I’m always worried I’ll scramble my eggs by adding hot items to them, so I added the chocolate a little at a time – who knows, this could be completely irrelevant, but I felt better doing it
- In small bowl, stir together flour and baking powder then add into the chocolate mixture
- Gently mix in semi-sweet chips
- Using a sheet of plastic wrap, form dough into 2 logs, each 2 inches in diameter and about 8 inches long
- As dough will be very soft, use plastic wrap to hold dough in log shapes; wrap tightly and refrigerate at least 1 hour or until firm (I actually stuck these babies in the freezer for about 40 min and they were fine)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Unwrap dough and with a sharp knife, cut into 3/4 inch slices
- Place slices 1 1/2 inches apart on greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet
10. Bake for 11 minutes or until shiny crust forms on top but interior is still soft
11. Cool on a baking sheet (I may or may not have enjoyed a few prior to cooling😉 )…..
BIG thanks to Aliza for the recipe – I will definitely be making these again.
Now, how about a look at a few of the other tasty entries…..
Almond Joy 'Joyal' Cookies
Chocolate Cherry Surprises
Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies with White Chocolate Chips
Ramblings of a Readhead‘s Chocolate Cracker Cookies:
Chocolate Cracker Cookies
LalLizEats‘ Yellow Cake Mix Cookies with Chocolate Chips:
Yellow Cake Mix Cookies with Chocolate Chips
Heart-healthy Chcolate Chip Cookies
Potato Chip Cookies
Beardy Lollipop‘s original Raspberry Fig Newtons :
Raspberry Fig Newtons
and the ultimate WINNER……Cowboy Cookies! These really were awesome!
* Pics courtesy of Kim Moniz
Cheers to all of the participants and the judges who tasted each and every cookie! Can’t wait for next year’s bake off!