Spring has most certainly sprung in Boston! How fantastic is this warm weather?!? I love being in the city during the spring, summer and fall….its the brutal winter that gets me every year – but that, my friends, has passed :). With sunshine comes bountiful produce and fresh herbs – one of my favorite ingredients for warm weather cooking!
In perusing the blogosphere this week, I saw some great posts on growing your own herb garden. Store bought herbs can be a little pricey and often go bad within the week, so growing your own is a great option. Never fear city/apartment dwellers – it is easy peasy to grow your own small garden at home in a windowsill or on a patio/fire escape – check out ‘how-to’s’ from Organic City Girl and Our Best Bites to learn how. I think this just may be the spring I plant my own :).
This carrot and black bean salad is one of my favorites; great flavors, light but filling and the perfect accompaniment to any spring/summer menu. The mint really shines, giving the dish a wonderful freshness and the whole thing comes together in less than 10 min – you can’t beat it.
Could be perfect for a picnic date in Boston Common……just sayin’ 😉
Carrot & Black Bean Salad with Mint & Feta
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 ¼ cups canned black beans, rinsed
- 2 med plum tomatoes, chopped (sliced cherry tomatoes work well too)
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Leaves from 5 short stalks of mint (15-20 min leaves), sliced into ribbons
- Juice of ½ fresh lemon
- 1 ½ tablespoons good extra-virgin olive oil
- Mix all of the ingredients – yep, it’s that easy :).
* Feel free to make this in advance and leave in the fridge for an hour or so to let the flavors further develop.
Any plans to enjoy the nice weather this weekend???